If you want to make money from your music, you need to join APRA AMCOS!

We pay you royalties when your music is used by businesses. We take the headache out of tracking which businesses use your music, how they use your music and when they use your music.  We do the work for you, so you can spend more time writing music, and less time on administration.

How does this all work? 

Almost all businesses and organisations use music somehow - your favourite café, your local hairdresser, nightclubs, festivals, radio stations, television ads, YouTube videos, and even telephone on-hold systems. APRA AMCOS licenses these businesses and organisations to use music. We also track what music they use. If your music gets used, a portion of the licence fee is paid to you as royalties.

Play live? Get paid!

If you play live at pubs, clubs, cafes, or other live music venues, you can claim royalties for these performances by submitting a Performance Report. Just tell us what songs you’ve performed in which venues over the past financial year – from 1 July to 30 June – and you could be paid for playing your original music live. Make sure you also tell us about any covers you perform so the original songwriters can get paid too. It means that if someone performs a version of your song - you can be paid for it.

Get an ABN

Make sure you tell us your Australian Business Number (ABN). If you don’t have an ABN, get one!

The reason being, if you don’t have an ABN and you earn more than $500 in APRA royalties or $75 in AMCOS royalties, we have to deduct 47% withholding tax from your royalties at the highest PAYG tax rate.

You can apply for an ABN through the Australian Business Register.

When will you be paid?

APRA pays domestic royalties every three months and processes overseas royalties monthly.

AMCOS processes royalties quarterly - within 60 days of the end of each calendar quarter, usually just before the 60th day. All amounts over $10 are paid.

What about your overseas royalties? 

Click here to find out how to collect the royalties you earn overseas. 

Need more info?

Contact your your local Writer Services Representative

Site Menu

Search the Website